Vanadzor city, formerly (until 1935) Karakilisa, or Kirovakan (1935-93), lies at the confluence of the Pambak, Tandzut, and Vanadzoriget rivers in northern Armenia. In 1826 the villages of Bolshoy and Maly Karaklis were merged into the town of Karaklis. The construction of the Tiflis-Karaklis-Alexandropol railway at the end of the 19th century speeded the town’s development. In 1935 the name of Karaklis was officially changed to Kirovakan to honor the Soviet official Sergey Kirov. The name Vanadzor was adopted in 1993, after Armenia had gained its independence from the former Soviet Union. Electricity from a nearby hydroelectric station on the Pambak River serves Vanadzor’s chemical industries, which produce carbide, ammonia, acetate silk, synthetic corundum, and plastic resin and rubber. Other industries include the production of precision tools, chemical machinery, textiles, and foodstuffs. The city was one of several in Armenia that were devastated by an earthquake in 1988.
Get in touch
19 Hrachya Kochar street, #39 Yerevan 0012, Republic of Armenia