Tatev monastery complex is located on a plateau surrounded by a precipice from three sides. Tatev monastery includes a number of structures. The main cathedral of St. Poghos and Petros (Paul and Peter) dates back to 885. The 8 meter high giant made of small stones topped by an airy cross rests on a hinge foundation. The cathedral is an example of 7th century monuments with free slanting pylons. To the south of the main cathedral, the church of St. Gregory (1295) is erected on the site of a former sanctuary from the 9th c. The periphery is surrounded by homes and other buildings. Among them a vaulted fount and fortification walls dating back to the 17th century. In one of the precipices around the monastery, you will see the Vorotan river, one of the miracles of nature, which runs under the Devil’s Bridge. The walls of the canyon (where the river flows) are 250 to 300 meters high. A large number of stalactites hang from the bridge, as well as numerous springs flow from the walls.
Get in touch
19 Hrachya Kochar street, #39 Yerevan 0012, Republic of Armenia