Ohanavank Monastery complex was built by Gregory the Illuminator in the 4th c. It was rebuilt twice: in 573 and 1752 when the modern roofing was replaced by stone vaults. The building of the main cross-domed church of St. Karapet dates from 1216-1221. The most interesting portal is on the western side which is decorated with columns. The front door is framed with eight-point stars. the spaces between them are covered with fine floral ornament. In the tympanum there is a bas-relief with a representation of the “wise and unwise maidens”. The figure of Christ is in the center. The walls surrounding the ensemble’s periphery date back to the 12th century.
Get in touch
19 Hrachya Kochar street, #39 Yerevan 0012, Republic of Armenia