Haghpat is a Monastery complex the most prominent structure of which is the Savor’s Church (956-967), built by architect Trdat for princes Gourgen and Smbat from the Kyurikian Kingdom. The eastern part of the church holds a bas-relief depicting the two princes holding the miniature copy of the actual church. The former village of Sanahin is located on the right side of the gorge. It has become a part of Alaverdi town nowadays. An interesting point is the Academy dating back to 1063, where famous scientist, philosopher and writer Grigor Magistros-Savor lectured. The Sanahin Monastery had many feudal properties, a great number of estates, lands, vineyards, oil-mills and factories.
Get in touch
19 Hrachya Kochar street, #39 Yerevan 0012, Republic of Armenia