Amberd fortress stands at an elevation of 2300 meters above sea level on the high cape, in the canyon of two rivers high upon the southern slope of Mount Aragats. It is considered to be the only preserved monument of secular type on the territory of Armenia. The fortress, founded in the 7th century by Pahlavouni princes, had its own water-supply pipe which channels springs from the Aragats mountain. The church inside the fortress was built in 1026 as shown by the date inscribed on the door. The church itself, the palace bathhouse with two domes, a floor heating system and a secret passage to the gorge are considered to be the most well-preserved monuments of Amberd. In the 13th century Amberd fortress was destroyed and set on fire by Mongolian invaders.
Get in touch
19 Hrachya Kochar street, #39 Yerevan 0012, Republic of Armenia